European Perspectives Series |Data exposure knows no borders: trends and challenges across Europe
Webinar: 6th October, 16:00 CET
03 September 2021
Three years on from the introduction of GDPR, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) is expected to introduce a rule on materiality threshold on data breaches, while the EU will be introducing a new directive on representative action and regulations on class action.
With data litigation likely to be on the rise as a result, a team of Clifford Chance lawyers will be delivering a Webinar on the topic on 6th October, 16:00 CET.
In this session, our panel of speakers, moderated by Jan Conrady, a Counsel in our Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice will discuss the role of the ECJ in strengthening data protection and explore the different approaches to class action regulations across EU jurisdictions. We will also discuss the impact that the European trend has on the US, covering the notion of data protection regulation harmonisation, and some of the key drivers for data litigation, including cyber incidents.
- ECJ and pending decisions (materiality of breach)
- Changes in legislation (introduction of class action)
- Harmonisation of data regulations in EU/US
- Obligation to reveal information on cyber incidents
- Dessi Savova: Partner and Tech Group Lead, specialised in new technologies and commercial law, including artificial intelligence, data and cybersecurity. She also leads the Firm’s Consumer Goods and Retail sector worldwide.
- Jan Conrady (moderator): Counsel and an expert in advising clients on all aspects of tech-related domestic and international disputes with a particular focus on the mobility, infrastructure, and pharmaceutical sectors. He is a member of the Global Tech Group and regularly publishes on questions of data litigation with a special focus on data misuse.
- Kate Scott: Partner, focused on technology disputes including cyber, artificial intelligence, facial recognition, crypto, IT and outsourcing risk. She has represented several clients defending data claims, and has written and presented on the emerging jurisprudence around quantifying damages for data misuse.
- Daan Lunsingh-Scheurleer: Partner, specialised in defending companies and professional service firms in cross border multi-party litigation and class actions, including shareholders and consumer claims.
- Fernando Irurzun: Partner and an expert in advising national and international companies in civil litigation and in the field of data protection.
- Celeste Koeleveld: Partner, representing clients, both corporates and individuals, with regulatory compliance, internal investigations, and all phases of civil, criminal and regulatory litigation. Specialises in data privacy and cybersecurity issues.
- Thibaud D'Ales: Partner, specialised in domestic and cross-border litigation. His areas of expertise notably include consumer law. He is particularly active in class/collective actions brought by consumer associations or groups of consumers.
- Andrea Tuninetti Ferrari: Counsel, specialised in digital transformation issues, where use of data and algorithms trigger great business opportunities and material legal risks. He regularly advises clients in the fields of AI governance and data monetisation.
Register for the event.