EU Political Update
Talking Tech Highlights: 21-25th November 2016
27 April 2017
A weekly review of tech related political developments in the European Union
Week in Review
Banking and finance: European Commission launches FinTech taskforce
On 14 November 2016, the European Commission set up an internal Task Force on Financial Technology to lead its response to the effects of technological innovation in the financial services sector.
The stated aim of the new Task Force is to capitalise on developments in this area and to address any challenges which may emerge. Speaking of this aim, Commission Vice-President Valdis Dombrovskis, responsible for Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union said: 'Efficient financial markets need to make the best possible use of the opportunities that technology presents, while also preserving competition and making sure that new operating systems are safe.' The Task Force is co-chaired by DG FISMA and DG Connect. It brings together bodies responsible for financial regulation and the Digital Single Market, along with experts in competition and consumer protection policy.
The Commission says the unit will engage with market participants with the aim of formulating policy recommendations and measures over the course of the coming year.
This week in the Institutions
- Commissioner Günther Oettinger will be in Stuttgart to deliver a speech on digitisation of cities and of trade at the Stadtmarketingtag. He will also participate in a Citizens' Dialogue in Cologne
- The Commission will organize the 'European innovation policies for the digital shift' conference. This event is the final conference of the three-year European innovation policies for the digital shift research project, which aims to improve understanding of innovation in the ICT sector and of ICT-enabled innovation in the rest of the economy
- The Commission will hold the European nano-electronics forum 2016 to discuss the future of mobility, security, digital healthcare and technology now and in the future.
- Vice-President Andrus Ansip will be in Strasbourg to deliver a speech at the conference 'Copyright Enforcement in the Online World: Approach of the European Commission'
- Vice-President Ansip will receive representatives from European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance
- Commissioner Oettinger will be in Munich to deliver a keynote speech on 'Digitisation of industry and science' at the Acatech Conference. He will also deliver a speech at the American Chamber of Commerce
- Commissioner Vestager will be in Bratislava to give a keynote speech at the European Competition and Consumer Day
- The Commission will hold the Safer Internet Forum 2016 to discuss to discuss the latest trends, risks and solutions related to child online safety
- Commissioner Oettinger will be in Rome to attend and deliver a keynote speech at the European Nano-electronics Forum
EU Political Update
To read the full version of this week's Clifford Chance Weekly EU Political Update please click on the download button.