EU Political Update
Talking Tech Highlights: 10-17th October 2016
27 April 2017
A weekly review of tech related political developments in the European Union
Previous Week's New Developments
Merger Control: European Commission launches public consultation on EU merger control
On 7 October 2016, the European Commission launched a public consultation on certain procedural and jurisdictional aspects of EU merger control.
The focus of the consultation is on (i) the effectiveness of purely turnover-based jurisdictional thresholds of EU Merger Regulation; (ii) procedures for categories of mergers that do not normally raise competition concerns; and (iii) the functioning of the case referral system between Member States and the European Commission.
First, on turnover-based thresholds, the European Commission is looking to address concerns that such thresholds fail to capture potentially problematic transactions which involve target companies that do not yet generate significant turnover. Such cases typically arise in the digital services or pharmaceutical sectors. Second, on procedures for unproblematic cases, the European Commission is seeking feedback on the functioning of the simplified procedure and suggestions for further simplification. Finally, the European Commission is also seeking feedback on the functioning of the case referral system.
Stakeholders, including businesses, professional bodies and consumer organisations, may submit their contributions to the consultation until 13 January 2017. The results of the consultation will inform future reform of EU merger control by the European Commission.
This week in the Institutions
- Vice-President Andrus Ansip will be in Tallinn to participate in the conference 'Digital Single Market: What is there for Estonia'
- Commissioner Günther Oettinger will be in Seattle to meet with Mr Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft and Mr Russ Grandinetti, Senior Vice-President of Amazon.com He will also meet with representatives of Boeing Digital Aviation Unit.
10 – 13 October
- The Commission will organise a workshop on 'Cities and Regions as launch pads for digital transformation' to show the main attributes which characterise the digital transformation and the steps needed to facilitate this transformation
- Vice-President Ansip will receive Mr Xavier Garambois, Vice-President of EU Retail at Amazon and Mr Werner Vogels, Chief Technology Officer at Amazon. He will also receive Mr Dara Khosrowshahi, President and CEO of Expedia Inc., and Mr Dana Dunne, CEO of eDreams ODIGEO
- Vice-President Šefčovič will receive Mr Maarten Wetselaar, Integrated Gas and New Energies Director of Shell
Council of the European Union
13 – 14 October
Justice and Home Affairs Council. On the agenda:
- Assess the implementation of the European Border and Coast Guard and review IT measures related to border management
10 – 11 October
Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO). On the agenda:
- Consideration of draft opinion on the European Cloud Initiative
- Exchange of views on the cooperation between national authorities responsible for the enforcement of consumer protection laws
12 – 13 October
Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (ITRE). On the agenda:
- Presentation by Claire Bury on the European Electronic Communications Code
- Consideration of draft report for wholesale roaming markets
- Exchange of views on digitising European industry
- Consideration of draft report on the European Cloud Initiative
- Adoption of draft report on establishing an information exchange mechanism with regard to intergovernmental agreements and non-binding instruments between Member States and third countries in the field of energy and repealing Decision No 994/2012
Committee on Legal Affairs (JURI). On the agenda:
- Consideration of amendments regarding cross-border portability of online content services in the internal market
Joint Committee Meeting: Committee on Industry, Research and Energy and Committee on Culture and Education. On the agenda:
- Consideration of amendments: a coherent policy for cultural and creative industries
EU Political Update
To read the full version of this week's Clifford Chance Weekly EU Political Update please click on the download button.